Parish in the County of Cheshire
Stanlow was an extra-parochial district, now included in the c.p. of Ellesmore Port Municipal Borough. It was the site of a Cistercian monastery founded in 1178 and removed in 1296 to Whalley La after inundation by the sea. A cell of twelve chaplains was maintained here by the abbots of Whalley until the dissolution. Prior to the foundation of the abbey, Stanlow was probably part of Great Stanney 182supra .