Parish in the County of Cheshire
Great Stanney was an extra-parochial township belonging to Stanlow (later Whalley) Abbey, to which it was granted in 1178. It seems to have included Stanlow originally, and to have been part of Eastham parish 187infra , v. Orm2 ii397. Bryant's map, 1831 puts it in Stoke parish. It is now included in the c.p. of Ellesmere Port Municipal Borough.