Major Settlement in the Parish of Croydon cum Clopton
- Cloptune 1086 DB
- Cloptun 1199 FF 1218 SR 1254 Val
- Cloptona 1086 ICC
- Clopton(e) 1196 Cur 1524 MinAcct
- Clopton(e) cum Esthattele 1285 Ass
- Cloptone cum Hattele 1316 FA
- Cloptone by Shingay 1470 Fenlandiv
- Cloppet' 1218 SR
- Clap(e)ton' 1272,1285 Ass
- Clapton, Clapton Fm c.1825 O.S.
- Clapham(gate) 1667 Borough
- Clapham Farm 1821 Baker
Clapton Fm and the site of St Mary's Chapel (1886 O.S. 6″) are marked near Croydon Hill, the term *clopp (a ) being probably at one time applied to that hill. Hence 'hill-farm,' v. tūn , Studies 136–9 and PN ERY xlvi.