Lockspit Hall Drove
Early-attested site in the Parish of Cottenham
Lockspit Hall Drove (6″). Cf. Lockspit Hall 1883 AnctC. This, with Lock Spit Fm and Lock Spit Hall and Long Lockspits (infra 228, 235, 176), is named from the lockspits or small trenches dividing fen lands (1637 BedL ii, 270). v. NEDs. v. lockspit, from lock sb. or v. and spit , 'a turf.' First recorded in 1649–50, cf. Sutton Lockspittes 1654BLAcct , Lockspits in the Old Hawes (in Chatteris) 1678FenS .