Alboro Close Drove
Early-attested site in the Parish of Cottenham
- le Arburgh 1483 Christ's
Alboro Close Drove (6″). Cf. Aldebur 1202 FF, Audeburg '1228FF , Aldeburgh (feld )1323 Crowland, Aldeborowefeld t. Ed 3Christ 's , Aldeburghaye c. 1350Cole xliv, (le ) Alburgh 1492, 1527Christ 's , Alborough 1596 ib., Awbrose (Fen )1604Atkyns , Alboro Close c. 1840TA . 'The old fort,' v. eald , burh . Roman and other remains have been found in the neighbourhood. Not far away, on Bullocks Haste Common, earthworks are marked on the O.S. map. These Fox (223) describes as an elaborate system of shallow ditches, probably irrigation works of Roman date. Either these were mistaken for earthworks, one of which is referred to in le Arburgh 1483Christ 's (cf. Arbury supra 148), or there was once a fort here of which all visible trace has been lost.