Major Settlement in the Parish of Ickford
- Iforde 1086 DB
- Ycford 1175 P 1220 Fees414
- Ikeforde 1226 WellsR 1235 Cl 1235 Fees555 1246 Gross 1247 Ass 1300 Ipm
- Hick(e)ford(ia) 1231 Bract 1361 Fine 1588 BM
- Hicford 1235 Fees463 1247 Ass
- Icford 1237 Cl 1255 For 1284,1302 FA 1489 Ipm
- Ikesford 1241 Ass
- Ikford 1247 Ass 1313 Fine
- Hyk(e)ford 1289 Ipm 1366,1504 Pat
- Ikkeford 1377,1392 Pat
- Hikforde 1526 LS
There is a well-established Icel used as a pers. name in OE.To this corresponds OHG Ichilo , which is a diminutive of a well-established Icho . This must be the cognate of OE Ic (c )a known only from p.n. Icangeat (BCS 240), Iccannore (ib. 64), Itchenor (Sx) and such names as Ickborough (Nf), DBIcheburna . There must have been two forms of the name Icca , one with and the other without palatalisation of the cc . Cf. similarly Eckington (Wo) and Etchingham (Sx) from OE Ecca or Ecci . Hence 'Icca's ford.'
The central part of the parish is known as Great or Church Ickford (cf. LPxv. 613, 21), Little Ickford lies to the southeast (VCH ).