Major Settlement in the Parish of Eastcotts
- Cotes 1220 LS 1227 Ass
- Estcotes 1240 Ass 1393 Cl
- Escotes 1382 Cl
- Escotts 1780 Jury
'The parish takes its name from the “cotes,” now represented by Cotton End in Cardington, called “east” in distinction from the “cotes” in Wilshamstead, once known as Westcotes (v. supra 86) now as “Wilshamstead Cotton End.”'
In this parish we have mention in the Newnham Cartulary (189) of a Cotingebroc . This is an interesting illustration of the use of the suffix ingas to denote the inhabitants of a place, for it is clear that this is from OE Cotingabrōc , 'brook of the dwellers at the cotes.'