English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Pontesbury and Malehurst

Major Settlement in the Parish of Pontesbury

Etymology

v. supra for Pontesbury. VCH VIII252 gives some information about street-names. The section of MAIN RD north of the castle- site was Stanniel Street in 1831, which can be linked with Stanwall c.1540, and may refer to a stone wall enclosing the outer bailey of the castle. The section of MAIN RD west of the church was Pavement Street in 1831, and Leland (c.1540) refers to Castelle Paviment “on the South side of the Chirche Yard”.