Early-attested site in the Parish of Tormoham
- Torrekay 1591 Deed
- Torkay 1668 DA
A.), 'a small village called Torkay ' 1668 DA 27, 'Fleete otherwise Torkey within the parish of Tormohun,' 1670 ib., Torkey 1715 Moulton, Tor Quay 1765 D. An earlier reference to the place occurs perhaps in 1412, when a French ship laden with wine was seized and brought into Devon 'a un lieu appelle le Getee de Torrebaie ' (Seld 10). The name was applied at first to a quay or landing stage, perhaps built by the monks of Torre Abbey near by. The town, which covers the whole of the ancient parish of Tormoham, most of St Mary Church, and a part of Cockington, is chiefly of 19th cent, growth, though the reference above shows that a small settlement existed on the spot as early as 1668.