English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.


Early-attested site in the Parish of Reigate

Historical Forms

  • Erleswode 1447 Rental
  • a comon called Erles wode 1550 LRMB
  • Earlswood Common 1823 G


Earlswood is Erleswode 1447Rental , a comon called Erles wode 1550LRMB , Earlswood Common 1823 G. This was till the 19th century a piece of waste land attached to the manor of Reigate, which was held by the first Earls of Surrey.