English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.


Early-attested site in the Parish of Pontesbury

Historical Forms

  • Nocks 1768 ib


NOX, 1783 PR(H) 12, Nocks 1768 ib. Named from Richard Nock who built an alehouse here in 1653 (VCH VIII261). The alehouse was called Star and Ball ; the building is now Nox Ho. An earlier Richard Noc appears as a juror for Ford Hundred 1255 RH. The squatter settlement here was the earliest one on the southern fringe of Ford Heath.