English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

y e commens

Field in the Parish of Marsh Chapel

Historical Forms

  • y e commens 1601 Terrier
  • the towne - Comon 1635 Terrier
  • les commons e13 Holywell
  • y e Comon of y e towne 1662 Terrier
  • the Comon feild 1662 Terrier


y ecommens 1601, the towne -Comon 1635, les commons 1638*, y e Comon of y etowne, the Comon feild 1662(self-explanatory)