Early-attested site in the Parish of Elton
- Derneforde 1164 BM 1279 RH
- water of Dernford 1589 FF
'Hidden ford' (v. dierne , ford ). So effectually is it hidden that none is marked on the O.S. map, but it may be presumed that it was where a foot-path leads away from the river-bank just across the Nen from Elton village.