Early-attested site in the Parish of Elton
- Bottle Green 1766 J 1826 G
- Pottle Green 1836 O
If we could recover the early forms of this name we should probably find that its history was the same as that of Botolph Bridge, viz. that it was named first after St Botolph, then by a process of popular corruption became Bottle Green, and that finally some polite antiquarian or map-maker restored the full name of the saint.