English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Came ( Hill ) Gate

Field in the Parish of Dorchester St Peter & All Saints

Historical Forms

  • 1841 TA
  • Came Hill 1607 Clegg
  • The Wester furlonge upon Came Hill 1615 DuCo
  • Came Yate 1615 DuCo


Came(Hill) Gate(Came Hill 1607, The Wester furlonge upon Came Hill,Came Yate 1615, near Winterborne Came par. supra, v. westerra, geat)